Ernest H. Ern Professor
I am an eco-hydrologist with research spanning the continuum of natural through urban watersheds. A goal is to develop and incorporate principles learned in unmanaged ecosystems as part of urban ecosystem restoration. I have a major interest in the role of forests and tree canopy on flooding and drought, the provision of high-quality freshwater, coupled water, carbon and nitrogen cycling, and vulnerability to climate and land use change. My current urban environmental research has an emphasis on the design, analysis and simulation of green infrastructure on urban ecosystems and human well being, and the development of computational tools to facilitate collaborative and participatory research, management and design for watershed restoration.
- Nonstationary Hydrologic Behavior in Forested Watersheds Is Mediated by Climate-Induced Changes in Growing Season Length and Subsequent Vegetation Growth
2018; Water Resources Research; Hwang, T. | Martin, K.L. | Vose, J.M. | Wear, D. | Miles, B. |...
- Watershed impacts of climate and land use changes depend on magnitude and land use context
2017; Ecohydrology; Martin, K.L. | Hwang, T. | Vose, J.M. | Coulston, J.W. | Wear, D.N. |...
- Nonstationarity in threshold response of stormflow in southern Appalachian headwater catchments
2017; Water Resources Research; Scaife, C.I. | Band, L.E.
- Projected hydrological changes in the North Carolina piedmont using bias-corrected North American Regional Climate Change Assessment Program (NARCCAP) data
2017; Journal of Hydrology: Regional Studies; Kim, Y. | Band, L.E. | Ficklin, D.L.
- Dynamics of nitrate concentration-discharge patterns in an urban watershed
2017; Water Resources Research; Duncan, J.M. | Welty, C. | Kemper, J.T. | Groffman, P.M. | Band, L.E.
- Variable nitrate concentration–discharge relationships in a forested watershed
2017; Hydrological Processes; Duncan, J.M. | Band, L.E. | Groffman, P.M.
- Regional Soil Mapping Using Multi-Grade Representative Sampling and a Fuzzy Membership-Based Mapping Approach
2017; Pedosphere; YANG, L. | ZHU, A.-X. | ZHAO, Y. | LI, D. | ZHANG, G. |...
- Reanalysis of global terrestrial vegetation trends from MODIS products: Browning or greening?
2017; Remote Sensing of Environment; Zhang, Y. | Song, C. | Band, L.E. | Sun, G. | Li, J.
- A photosynthesis-based two-leaf canopy stomatal conductance model for meteorology and air quality modeling with WRF/CMAQ PX LSM
2017; Journal of Geophysical Research; Ran, L. | Pleim, J. | Song, C. | Band, L. | Walker, J.T. |...
- On the non-stationarity of hydrological response in anthropogenically unaffected catchments: An Australian perspective
2017; Hydrology and Earth System Sciences; Ajami, H. | Sharma, A. | Band, L.E. | Evans, J.P. | Tuteja, N.K. |...