Primary Research Areas
- Use and further development of the eddy correlation technique for measuring fluxes in the benthic environment. See my web site for details.
- Applied modeling of transport phenomena and biogeochemical processes in the benthic environment.
- Jet-nozzle method for measuring response times of scalar sensors used in liquids and gases
2018; Limnology and Oceanography: Methods; Merikhi, A. | Berg, P. | Meyer, V. | Huettel, M.
- Oxygen metabolism of intertidal oyster reefs measured by aquatic eddy covariance
2018; Marine Ecology Progress Series; Volaric, M.P. | Berg, P. | Reidenbach, M.A.
- Continuous measurement of air-water gas exchange by underwater eddy covariance
2017; Biogeosciences; Berg, P. | Pace, M.L.
- Benthic Oxygen Fluxes Measured by Eddy Covariance in Permeable Gulf of Mexico Shallow-Water Sands
2016; Aquatic Geochemistry; Chipman, L. | Berg, P. | Huettel, M.
- Benthic Carbon Mineralization and Nutrient Turnover in a Scottish Sea Loch: An Integrative In Situ Study
2016; Aquatic Geochemistry; Glud, R.N. | Berg, P. | Stahl, H. | Hume, A. | Larsen, M. |...
- A new robust oxygen-temperature sensor for aquatic eddy covariance measurements
2016; Limnology and Oceanography: Methods; Berg, P. | Koopmans, D.J. | Huettel, M. | Li, H. | Mori, K. |...
- Microelectrode velocity effects and aquatic eddy covariance measurements under waves
2016; Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology; Reimers, C.E. | Özkan-Haller, H.T. | Albright, A.T. | Berg, P.
- Technical note: Time lag correction of aquatic eddy covariance data measured in the presence of waves
2015; Biogeosciences; Berg, P. | Reimers, C.E. | Rosman, J.H. | Huettel, M. | Delgard, M.L. |...
- Sub-tropical seagrass ecosystem metabolism measured by eddy covariance
2015; Marine Ecology Progress Series; Long, M.H. | Berg, P. | McGlathery, K.J. | Zieman, J.C.
- Seagrass metabolism across a productivity gradient using the eddy covariance, Eulerian control volume, and biomass addition techniques
2015; Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans; Long, M.H. | Berg, P. | Falter, J.L.
Virginia's Environments (EVSC 1040)
A general survey of the basic foundation, concepts, and dynamics of the total Earth system with natural Virginia as the unifying concept. Understanding is built on the foundation of geological and geomorphological processes that form and modify the landscape of Virginia, including basic geology, processes of mountain building, flooding, and erosion. Also examined are various ecosystems in the state, especially the Chesapeake Bay, and the human impact of these varied landscapes, particularly through exploitation of mineral and water resources, waste disposal and pollution, and land use issues.
Fundamentals of Geology (EVSC 2800)
Studies the composition, structure, and internal processes of earth; the classification, origin, and distribution of earth materials; earth's interior; and the interpretation of geological data for the solution of problems of the natural environment.
Geology and Ecology of U.S. National Parks (EVSC 4082)
The seminar will involve a close reading of the text with additional outside readings from peer-reviewed journals and books. Students will lead discussions on geological and ecological topics specific to the parks. The impacts of humans on the ecosystems of the specific parks will also be a major topic of investigation and analysis.
Geology and Ecology of U.S. Ore Deposits (EVSC 4820)
The seminar will primarily be an interdisciplinary study group to examine the interrelationships of geology, ecology and land-use issues during the exploration for, the exploitation of, and the environmental legacy of the mineral resources of the United States. Additional outside readings specific to the deposits will be utilized for environmental issues and concern.
Geological Field Methods in Environmental Sciences (EVSC 4830)
This course will integrate lectures, field exercises and trips, and computational techniques to develop solid skills important for Geosciences. Specific projects may include surveying, geologic mapping, soils descriptions, stream and groundwater monitoring, flooding hazards, use of tracers, sampling techniques and various other tools of the trade.
Geology of Virginia (EVGE 7810)
An examination of the geological evolution of Virginia and the mid-Atlantic region in the context of plate tectonics, including stratigraphy, mountain building, metamorphism and deformation, and geomorphic processes. The human impact on this landscape through exploitation of mineral resources is considered.