Department of Environmental Sciences: Mission, Vision, and Values
Our mission is to advance understanding of the environment through interdisciplinary scientific research, education, and service.
We work at the forefront of research to discover, integrate, and communicate new knowledge and generate wisdom about environmental systems. We provide outstanding and innovative education and exceptional mentorship. We pursue fundamental, transformative science that provides objective and impactful information for management, policymaking, and environmental justice.
Our mission and vision are supported by a commitment to a core set of values that guide what we do as a community of scholars:
- Integrity: Maintain the highest standards of scientific, academic, and professional ethics
- Diversity and Inclusivity: Strengthen and foster a community that supports people from diverse backgrounds and empowers individuals for who they are
- Freedom of Inquiry: Promote open exploration of science that is accepting of respectful, constructive criticism, and unbound by external pressures
- Societal Impact: Conduct science that makes a positive impact on the world
- Collegiality: Facilitate collaboration, teamwork, and support for each other’s success
- Community Engagement: Respectfully and cooperatively engage with the communities where we live, study, and work