The Graduate Student Association hosts weekly department socials, graduate student activities, and an annual research symposium, EnviroDay. Funding for activities come from generous department support and faculty sponsorships, as well as dues from the students. A core group of officers is responsible for events with input and support from the graduate student body.
The GSA also manages updates to the graduate student handbook and runs an undergraduate research mentoring program to connect undergraduates interested in research with graduate students. A list of publications from current department graduate students is compiled twice a year to highlight research achievements.
Three large social functions are held each year:
- Fall BBQ / Picnic (September)
- End of Year Celebration / Holiday Party (December)
- Spring Fling (April)
The GSA is a student run organization that aims to provide:
1. professional and personal support for existing graduate students,
2. events that build community among students and faculty,
3. information and guidance for incoming and new graduate students,
4. a voice for graduate students in the department and university, and
5. support, space, and outspoken solidarity with historically marginalized individuals in academia and the wider scientific research community.
All positions are for one academic year with elections occurring each Summer. Co-chairs are rising second-year graduate students selected by the outgoing officers.
There are also volunteer and appointed positions available such as Social Chairs, Prospective Student Chairs, EnviroDay Chairs, and Dr. Doughnuts.
|Luke Groff||GSA Rep. to Faculty||hmq2xm|
|Jemima Elsherbini||GSA Rep. to Faculty||je6ug|
|Ethan Kadiyala||GSA Rep. to GSAS||qkz8dd|
|Tyler Barnes||GSA Rep. to GSAS||teb5g|
|Kylor Kerns||Dept. DEI Rep.||kk2kq|
|Ariana Flournoy||Dept. DEI Rep.||mue2mg|
|VIdushi Sharma||Dept. DEI Rep.||knz2jn|
|Hanne Borstlap||Social Chair||tpv4jw|
|Mirella Shaban||Social Chair||qwe2qh|
|Paola Granados||Social Chair||xac4ke|
|Preston Thompson||Social Chair||pmt3z|
|Mirella Shaban||BIPOC in EnviSci Chair||qwe2qh|
|Jemima Elsherbini||Sustainability Consult||je6ug|