David E. Carr
Research Associate Professor
I am interested in a diversity of topics in population and ecological genetics within the broad context evolutionary ecology. My research is question-driven and has included both animals and plants. Over the past several years my research has focused on the effects of inbreeding on the interactions between plants and their antagonists (herbivores and pathogens) and their mutualists (pollinators). In addressing these problems I have conducted experiments in the field as well as the greenhouse, and my approach has relied extensively on the techniques of quantitative genetics. A second focal area of research has been the ecology and genetics of non-native invasive plant species.
- Response of a facultative CAM plant and its competitive relationship with a grass to changes in rainfall regime
2018; Plant and Soil; Yu, K. | Carr, D. | Anderegg, W. | Tully, K. | D’Odorico, P.
- Interaction between Ailanthus altissima and native Robinia pseudoacacia in early succession: Implications for forest management
2018; Forests; Nilsen, E.T. | Huebner, C.D. | Carr, D.E. | Bao, Z.
- A generalist and a specialist herbivore are differentially affected by inbreeding and trichomes in Mimulus guttatus:
2018; Ecosphere; Haber, A.I. | Rivera Sustache, J. | Carr, D.E.
- The effect of nitrogen availability and water conditions on competition between a facultative CAM plant and an invasive grass
2017; Ecology and Evolution; Yu, K. | D'Odorico, P. | Carr, D.E. | Personius, A. | Collins, S.L.
- The role of community composition in grassland response to two methods of exotic forb removal
2017; Weed Research; Heckman, R.W. | McColley, C. | Slater, M.N. | Carr, D.E.
- Topsoil removal and carbon addition for weed control and native grass recruitment in a temperate-derived grassland in northern New South Wales
2017; Rangeland Journal; Brown, S.L. | Reid, N. | Reid, J. | Smith, R. | Wal Whalley, R.D.B. |...
- Effects of soil nitrogen availability and native grass diversity on exotic forb dominance
2016; Oecologia; Heckman, R.W. | Carr, D.E.
- Revegetating farmlands in northern New South Wales: Problems and solutions©
2016; Acta Horticulturae; Brown, S.L. | Reid, N. | Carr, D. | Reid, J. | Smith, R.
- Lack of melanopsin is associated with extreme weight loss in mice upon dietary challenge
2015; PLoS ONE; Aytürk, D.G. | Castrucci, A.M. | Carr, D.E. | Keller, S.R. | Provencio, I.
- The effects of leaf litter nutrient pulses on Alliaria petiolata performance
2015; PeerJ; Heckman, R.W. | Carr, D.E.
Applied Statistics for Environmental Scientists (EVSC 5030)
Provides a firm knowledge of experimental design, hypothesis testing, and the use of statistical methods of data analysis.