Stephen A. Macko
Special emphasis on fossil materials, fossil fuel origin and migration, early diagenesis of organic matter, abyssal ocean cycling of carbon and nitrogen, abiotic synthesis of organic materials and organic pollutants. Molecular approaches to isotope analysis. Isotope studies of food webs in modern and fossil ecosystems. Resolution of diet in early humans.
- Sources of stable isotope variation among stranded Western Atlantic dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) in North Carolina
2017; Marine Mammal Science; MacAvoy, S.E. | Cortese, N. | Cybulski, J. | Hohn, A.A. | Macko, S.A.
- Potential global economic impacts of ocean acidification
2017; Center for Oceans Law and Policy; Macko, S.A. | Fantasia, C. | Xue, G.J.
- Use of Nitrogen-15-Enriched Escherichia coli as a Bacterial Tracer in Karst Aquifers
2016; Groundwater; Ward, J.W. | Warden, J.G. | Bandy, A.M. | Fryar, A.E. | Brion, G.M. |...
- Assessing the importance of terrestrial organic carbon in the CHUKCHI and Beaufort seas
2015; Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science; Morris, D.J. | O'Connell, M.T. | Macko, S.A.
- Global ocean challenges
2015; Center for Oceans Law and Policy; Macko, S.A.
- Spatial patterns of tissue stable isotope contents give insight into the nutritional sources for seep communities on the Gulf of Mexico lower slope
2014; Marine Ecology Progress Series; Becker, E.L. | Cordes, E.E. | Macko, S.A. | Lee, R.W. | Fisher, C.R.
- Environmental archaeology at Mikindani, Tanzania: Towards a historical ecology of the southern Swahili coast
2014; Journal of African Archaeology; Pawlowicz, M. | Stoetzel, J. | Macko, S.
- Coyote (Canis latrans) mammalian prey diet shifts in response to seasonal vegetation change
2014; Isotopes in Environmental and Health Studies; Seamster, V.A. | Waits, L.P. | Macko, S.A. | Shugart, H.H.
- Assigning hydrogen, carbon, and nitrogen isotope values for phytoplankton and terrestrial detritus in aquatic food web studies
2014; Inland Waters; Yang, C. | Wilkinson, G.M. | Cole, J.J. | Macko, S.A. | Pace, M.L.
- Using stable isotope compositions of animal tissues to infer trophic interactions in Gulf of Mexico lower slope seep communities
2013; PLoS ONE; Becker, E.L. | Cordes, E.E. | Macko, S.A. | Lee, R.W. | Fisher, C.R.
Introduction to Oceanography (EVSC 2050)
Analyzes the principles that govern the world's oceans and their integration into an understanding of the major marine environments. Topics include marine pollution, global climate, and marine policy.
Topics in Oceanography(EVGE 4050)
Introduces oceanography together with a survey of marine resources and the scientific bases for their management.
Advanced Oceanography (EVSC 5050)
The principles of oceanography with views on real world applications, especially to the teaching of this class at the high school as well.
Geochemistry (EVGE 5850)
Studies the principles that govern the distribution and abundance of the elements in the earth's lithosphere, hydrosphere, biosphere, and atmosphere.
Isotope Geochemistry (EVSC 5860)
Investigates natural phenomena by means of stable and unstable isotopes and changes in their abundance, including isotope fractionation. Includes age dating, paleotemperature determination, and isotope tracers in natural systems.