Joe D. and Helen J. Kington Professor in Environmental Change
My research spans oceanography, climate and biogeochemistry, with an emphasis on numerical models, remote sensing, and data analysis. I am interested in how the global carbon cycle and ocean ecology respond to natural and human-driven climate change signals such as ocean warming, sea-ice loss, and ocean acidification due to the invasion of carbon dioxide from fossil fuel burning.
This book is based on a hands-on modeling course taught in the MIT/WHOI Joint Program:
Glover, D.M., W.J. Jenkins, and S.C. Doney, 2011: Modeling Methods for Marine Science, Cambridge University Press book website (ISBN-13: 9780521867832).
- Recurrent seascape units identify key ecological processes along the western Antarctic Peninsula
2018; Global Change Biology; Bowman, J.S. | Kavanaugh, M.T. | Doney, S.C. | Ducklow, H.W.
- Spring-summer net community production, new production, particle export and related water column biogeochemical processes in the marginal sea ice zone of the Western Antarctic Peninsula 2012-2014
2018; Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences; Ducklow, H.W. | Stukel, M.R. | Eveleth, R. | Doney, S.C. | Jickells, T. |...
- A Phytoplankton Model for the Allocation of Gross Photosynthetic Energy Including the Trade-Offs of Diazotrophy
2018; Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences; Nicholson, D.P. | Stanley, R.H.R. | Doney, S.C.
- An autonomous, in situ light-dark bottle device for determining community respiration and net community production
2018; Limnology and Oceanography: Methods; Collins, J.R. | Fucile, P.D. | McDonald, G. | Ossolinski, J.E. | Keil, R.G. |...
- How Choice of Depth Horizon Influences the Estimated Spatial Patterns and Global Magnitude of Ocean Carbon Export Flux
2018; Geophysical Research Letters; Palevsky, H.I. | Doney, S.C.
- ALOHA from the edge: Reconciling three decades of in situ eulerian observations and geographic variability in the North Pacific subtropical Gyre
2018; Frontiers in Marine Science; Kavanaugh, M.T. | Church, M.J. | Davis, C.O. | Karl, D.M. | Letelier, R.M. |...
- Sustained climate warming drives declining marine biological productivity
2018; Science; Keith Moore, J. | Fu, W. | Primeau, F. | Britten, G.L. | Lindsay, K. |...
- Climate, ecosystems, and planetary futures: The challenge to predict life in Earth system models
2018; Science; Bonan, G.B. | Doney, S.C.
- On the Ability of Space-Based Passive and Active Remote Sensing Observations of CO2to Detect Flux Perturbations to the Carbon Cycle
2018; Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres; Crowell, S.M.R. | Randolph Kawa, S. | Browell, E.V. | Hammerling, D.M. | Moore, B. |...
- Geostatistical Analysis of Mesoscale Spatial Variability and Error in SeaWiFS and MODIS/Aqua Global Ocean Color Data
2018; Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans; Glover, D.M. | Doney, S.C. | Oestreich, W.K. | Tullo, A.W.